Walk To Work Day is a day that annually celebrates people walking to work across the United States, and most notable celebrated in the city of San Francisco. In 2017, about 10,000 residents of San Francisco alone participated in the event, which provides an excellent opportunity to get in some physical activity. It also helps people enjoy all the sights and sounds that their communities have to offer. These are sights and sounds that are not as easily enjoyed when driving a car or catching a bus, train, or another mode of transportation to work. The beauty of this day is that it helps people start the workday energized and having enjoyed some fresh air, even if it’s only a 15 or 20-minute walk.
Photo by Lindsay Henwood
The Benefits of Walking At Work All Year Long
Enjoying the scenery on your way to work is a great reason to get up and participate in Walk To Work day. There are additional benefits of getting in walking breaks throughout your day however. Some of those with excellent benefits include the following:
• Incorporate walking into your meetings for a great way to add exercise that accessible to almost all people and helps promote healthy weight maintenance (especially those who have otherwise sedentary jobs).
• On one of your regular breaks throughout the workday incorporate taking a quick walk. Adding this physical activity to your everyday prevents a host of health conditions including heart disease, high blood pressure, and type 2 diabetes.
• Split your walks! The same benefits apply if you break up walking throughout your day. For example, you want to walk 30 minutes each day taking a 15-minute walk in the morning and 15-minute walk in the afternoon during work breaks will have the same effects. Consequently, three 10 minute walks are another option.
• Don’t walk alone, invite a coworker or friend to enjoy socialization while you’re getting your activity in. Socializing makes walking more enjoyable and helps you come back to work refreshed and with your mind cleared.
• Add extra cardio to your walk by doing it on steps, uphill or on inclined/declined surfaces. This addition helps add resistance training a daily walking workout.
These are just some of a few of the great ways to participate in ‘Walk To Work’ all year long. By incorporating walking into your daily routine your health, attitude and waistline with all thank you!